Church Street, Spilsby

Sir John Franklin strolls past 8 and 10 Church Street Spilsby!

  • Before Lincs rural development
  • Post Lincs rural development
  • Post Lincs rural development
  • Post Lincs rural development
  • Post Lincs rural development
  • Post Lincs rural development

“If future generations are to remember us more with gratitude than sorrow, we must achieve more than just the miracles of technology”.

– Quote by Lyndon B Johnsonlincsrural2 lincsrural

The renovation of the two Grade II listed Cottages (8 & 10 Church Street, Spilsby) was a departure from the high energy efficient developments usually undertaken by the Association. The two cottages had stood empty for three years and were becoming increasingly dilapidated. The Association decided to take action to preserve a part of Spilsby’s heritage, taking advantage of the ‘Empty Homes’ grant from the Government totalling £22,000. The renovation costs however were far in excess, but the end result was worth every penny, including two ancient homes for  local people at an affordable rent.

It is quite possible that the town’s famous explorer Sir John Franklin, born in Spilsby on 16 April 1786 had walkedcharliech past the cottages with his two brothers to St. James Church in Spilsby almost 230 years earlier, listening to the six Church bells still in place today that were installed 22 years before in 1744 (over 270 year ago).

Lyndon B. Johnson (36th President of the United States) would have been proud of the Association.

We are proud of the end result, as working with our conservation specialists (Lincs Design Consultancy), the project management and a significant part of the works was undertaken directly by the Association’s staff. Our own tradesman demonstrated exceptional skills, dedication, and that tender loving care needed to bring these grand old buildings back to life.

Request a call back